The Macphail Woods Ecological Forestry Project is an initiative of the Environmental Coalition of Prince Edward Island. It combines protection of the natural area along the streams with wildlife enhancement, forest stewardship, watershed protection, environmental education and ecological research.
The project began in September of 1991 with a wildlife garden and native plant nursery. It includes three nature trails and demonstrations of innovative windbreaks, forest restoration and erosion control. We offer regular workshops on a wide variety of natural history, silvicultural and related topics – birds, wildflowers, mushrooms, pruning, transplanting, papermaking, basketmaking – as well as tours of the property and our work. The nursery and wildlife garden attract special attention, showcasing native trees, shrubs and wildflowers.
- Native Plant Nursery
- Sharing a Love of Nature Camps
- Events and Workshops
- Forest Restoration
- Nature Guides
- Hiking Trails
The sale of native trees and shrubs from our nursery helps fund many of our other programs at Macphail Woods. Why not come out for a walk or a workshop and pick up some trees for your property?
From mid-April to the end of October you can even call us at the nursery (902)651-2575 for information, hours, or a catalogue.
Restore an Acre
Join us and be part of something big!
In an effort to improve the health of our forests and create a model for environmental stewardship, Macphail Woods is launching the Restore an Acre initiative.
All donations will be used in the restoration of a 220-acre Public Forest on the Selkirk Road (Route #23) in Valley, part of the 2,000 acres we are managing for the provincial government.
- Sponsor your own acre and show your personal support for the forest
- Adopt an acre in memory of a loved one
- Your whole family can help to restore an acre together
- Businesses can sponsor an acre or award one as a gift to a special customer or employee.
- Schools, classes, and community groups can fundraise to restore an acre together.
How you can help
While much of the forest has been degraded over the past two hundred years, your generous donation, will enable us to:
- Identify and protect vulnerable natural areas
- Restore seed sources and other natural processes
- Improve access and educational opportunities
- Create small openings for plantings of native species
- Demonstrate sustainable forest management
- Prune trees as needed to improve health and value
- Remove invasive species
With your $200 donation per acre, you will receive:
- A charitable tax receipt
- A certificate recognizing your contribution
- Access to our quarterly E-newsletter with information on all Macphail Woods events, including updates and photos of the work being done with your support.
- An invitation to a guided walk on the property.
Best of all, you’ll get the satisfaction of knowing that you’re helping to protect this extraordinary forest habitat now and for future generations.